EcoFashion & Beauty Campaign
- Arsenic in eyeliner, lead in lipstick and cadmium in mascara: these are just some of the ingredients that knowingly have been excluded from the ingredients in the packaging by the beauty industry but which have been consistently found.
- GMOs in our personal care and beauty products, as well as in the much used and touted cotton in so much of our fashionable and chic clothing lines.
- Soy ink: The choice for many natural/Eco brands to dye clothing is most often made from GM soybeans and is absorbed through the skin, our largest organ.
- Animal cruelty in the beauty and fashion industries is legendary. Fur and leather do not provide any functional benefits that cannot be provided through other sustainable materials, yet:
- More than 50 million animals are violently killed for use in fashion every year.
- Methods used to kill animals for their fur include gassing, electrocution, and neck-breaking.
- The amount of energy needed to produce a real fur coat from fenced-in, cruelly-raised ranch animal skins is approximately 20 times more than that needed to produce a fake fur garment. In addition, the toxic chemicals applied to furs make them non-biodegradable.
- Slave labor within the glamorous fashion industry: The prominence of child labor has been well exposed by some news organizations. In the news recently, the collapse of a building in Bangladesh and the fire which killed many workers months earlier in another factory are testament to the deplorable conditions that the workers in the garment industry endure on our behalf.
What is the solution?
The Green Lifestyles Network is a solutions-oriented 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization. As part of our EcoWear Fashion and Beauty campaign, we are creating an Info & Fact Sheet which will detail the perils of the beauty, clothing and garment industries. We will be spotlighting the names of our sponsors, those who are leading the charge to put an end to the highly toxic “secrets” of the fashion and garment industry, by paving the way for sustainable, non-toxic, non-sweatshop, non-animal and fair trade solutions.
Last October, we celebrated the launch of the EcoFashion Salon at the exquisite Croft House in Los Angeles. Our featured EcoDesigner was the amazing Victoria Tick of FROCK LA. Check out photos from this spectacular evening on our FLICKR page.
Our 2014 EcoFashion & Beauty Salon will be the culmination of a series of informational videos, flyers, banners and articles by our bloggers educating the public about the much-overlooked toxicity in our beauty, clothing and garment industry, as well as the unnecessary suffering of those making our clothing and textiles. The fashion show is our elegant, fun and informative solution to these problems. Our 2014 featured EcoDesigner is the awesome Eric Coly of Le Dessein.
We will be showcasing fashion designers and beauty products and regimens which promote glamour, beauty and sophistication that are ethically sourced, consciously-manufactured and socially beneficial.
If you wish to be part of the solution, please join us and publicly engage in protecting and nurturing our natural resources via this solutions-based charity fashion show.
If you are interested in being a sponsor, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Flyer Download: ecoFashionLaunch Flyer